Good people of Ogun State, see highlights of my press briefing today, 5th June, 2020 on COVID-19, the first related briefing since we moved into the 2nd Phase of the Lockdown Easing on 1st June:
- Yesterday alone, Ogun State confirmed 34 COVID-19 cases – the highest daily recorded, since the index case in February, 2020. All week, we confirmed 74 new cases, marking a 31% increase in the 59 cases recorded in the previous week. God be praised, we have discharged a total of 168 cases, leaving us with 148 active cases, as we fortunately did not record any related death in the last week.
- I indicated in my briefing last week that our Administration would engage religious leaders towards working out modalities on gradually lifting restrictions on religious activities. This was in accordance with the minimum recommendations of the COVID-19 PTF, subject to peculiarities of affected states. We therefore met with leading religious bodies, as we have always been inclusive, and we arrived at the following conclusions:
(A) Subject to the review of the Sub-Committee (which includes some of the religious leaders earlier engaged) we set up, I will be unveiling on Friday, 12th June, 2020 some guidelines to enable the gradual opening of religious activities on Friday, 19th June.
(B) A Joint Task Force (including religious leaders, government and security agencies) will be set up to monitor compliance with agreed guidelines, which would be regularly reviewed according to developments.
(C) The afore-disclosed are despite the remarkable efforts of our Administration, as acknowledged by the religious leaders, who clearly understood the reality of the pandemic which is still very much with us.
- Therefore, all extant restrictions, guidelines and measures remain in place, as we will now adopt the FG-directed 10pm (night)-4am (morning) daily curfew. These guidelines include: weekday windows, as residents remain at home on Saturday and Sunday; interstate travel ban; use of facemasks; limits on public transports, social centres, and gatherings; and large industries.
- I am overwhelmed by the applause we have received over our methodical approach which was together with our sharp focus on Primary Healthcare Delivery System, just recently praised by the COVID-19 PTF.
- I remain grateful to all frontline responders. God first, our Government next, will never forget this immeasurable sacrifice in our joint fight against COVID-19.